Wednesday 14 December 2011

Preliminary Production Evaluation

How closely did you stick to your planning? 
I stuck fairly closely to my planning, in that I used the same type of image on my actual cover and my plan mock-up cover. In my photo of a girl holding a book, I had her stood by a tree which I used as the background on my cover. In my planning, I had only considered the girl holding the books and not the back ground of the picture that I still wanted to include. This made it unclear that I didn't want to crop out the girl's figure all together for anyone else looking at my planning. 

What were the challenges in doing this?
I had to find the right location to take my cover photograph, and working out photoshop to apply the different layers to my cover was quite difficult, and I think could take more practice. It's also much easier to draw and plan a magazine cover in your head, in comparison to trying to move around text and images on the macs. 

Did you find the planning helpful? Why?
Yes, I did find it very helpful because it was useful to be able to look back at my plan and judge how much more I needed to add to my magazine cover. I would have found it more useful I think if I'd made more annotations to give me more ideas of directions to go with each page. 

How did you find the process of finding and cropping your original image?
My image was just saved on the recent files so it was easy enough to help. Also, I didn't crop my image very much, I just shortened one edge so in my actual product I will spend more time cropping and manipulating my image to create better effects. 

How easy was it to manipulate your image using photo shop?
I feel like there's a lot more I could have done in photo shop to make my image more impressive, so next time I will change more things about it. I found it quite difficult to work out various different functions on photo shop, so manipulating my image was a challenge. 

What have you learnt from the process about creating covers and contents pages?
That it's important to understand the layers of each page and that I need more practice on photo shop. I also learnt that the left third side of the magazine cover includes interesting topics that are covered in the magazine as this is the part that is seen when it's on the shelf. From previous research I also learnt that pinks and reds are feminine colours used to attract a female audience and the age of the people on the cover can be used to reflect how old the target audience should be.

What would you do differently next time? 
I'd manipulate my image a lot more to make my cover more different and unique. I'd also maybe use a large photo as the background on my contents page to make it more similar to my cover. I may place the character on the cover in front of a plain background so I can crop them out and place them on a background of my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment